VUWSA Presidential Address

Hi everyone! I hope that week four has started off well for you all and you’re not too far behind in your readings yet.

It seems apt that this week’s Salient theme is ‘Happiness’. Often at this time of the year, with all the fantastic weather that Wellington brings, it’s easy to feel a bit down in the dumps and tired.

As much as I love winter, the cold and damp student flats, the relentless wind, and the early mornings and late nights studying and working can bring the very best of us down with all types of sickness and emotional stress. In fact, I am writing this column from my house, tucked up in bed with some hot lemon and honey, fighting off a nasty cold.

Too many of us have such busy schedules that we forget to take some time out for ourselves. During the trimester you’re often finishing one assignment just as your starting the next and it can take some real dedication to keep on top of your University workload. Then on top of this for many students there are work commitments to factor in, alongside family, relationship, volunteer and other social commitments.

Its not surprising that with so much on our plates many people forget or don’t have time just to take a few minutes a day to sit down, relax and take some time out for ourselves.

With that in mind, as your student president I come bearing some motherly advice, which I hope will serve you well over the next few weeks:

Get some fresh air. Put down the books, stop writing your essay and go for a wander outside. Exercise be it a walk, yoga, a game of football or an intense Zumba session at the Rec Centre, can work wonders for stress and anxiety levels. Being fit and active will also help to keep illness at bay.

Know your limits. Too often we try to be super-human and do everything that is asked of us, perfectly. Learn that it’s OK to say ‘no’. Prioritise what is important and learn to delegate.

Do something you love everyday. Whether it’s watching trashy TV, going out to dinner with some friends or reading a book, make sure you make time for yourself everyday.

Remember that help is always available If you are struggling and just need a little bit of help there is an amazing range of services that you can go to at Vic for support. Be in financial, mental, health or academic support—these services are provided to ensure you can get succeed at Vic.

Don’t struggle to get by, if you need help, please ask for it. Talk to your family and your friends—you’ll find that you may not be alone in how you are feeling.

Finally, a reminder that the Final Report of the VUWSA Governance Review has been released and will be tabled for acceptance at the VUWSA Annual General Meeting on the Wednesday 22 August at 1pm in SU217 & 218.

The Governance Review has been running for the last several months and the Working Party has recommended 13 changes be made to the current governance structure of VUWSA, to ensure that we can continue to operate as an effective and resilient association.

You can download a copy of the final report and recommendations from the VUWSA website or you can pick up your copy from the VUWSA Kelburn Office. The Governance Review Working Party will also be holding a series of meetings in Week 5 to discuss the final report and answer any questions. You can find the dates, times and venues for these meetings at: http://www. vuwsa.org.nz/representation/executive/ governance-review-2012/

Remember to keep safe and keep healthy. As always, if you have any questions you can contact me at president@vuwsa.org.nz.