VUWSA Treasurer

Last week, I managed to find myself in Hope Bros for the first time since I was in first year.

I was partaking in a new ritual, named a “Rubik’s Cube” party. An innovative student community in action. While I was there, a drunken man came up to me and decided to interrogate me by asking, “you are the Treasurer of the WHOLE of VUWSA, right?” followed by “I love your columns, they are dope!”

I didn’t know people read these columns. Better get down to business then.

As you all know, my role within VUWSA is to manage the finances of the association. This means ensuring that VUWSA is responsible with its spending decisions, so you guys can get better value for money.

In a post-VSM environment, I have been asked by various students to “show me the money”. Unfortunately I know a little more about economics than Phil Goff, so I can tell you all the ‘bloody exciting’ financial decisions we have made this year. We have:

Decided as an executive not to take any bonuses this year.

Made a number of cost savings across the board, without compromising service delivery.

Undertaken a ‘service review’ and identified key areas to be investigated looking forward to 2013.

Established an ‘Executive Reporting Committee’ to ensure more executive accountability and ensure any hours paid for were actually worked by the exec.

Established a “Revenue Committee” to investigate new and less politically controversial ways of gaining revenue in 2013.  This will mean more money for advocating for your education.

Reduced expenditure from approximately $2,115,000 (2011 budget) to $975,044 in the 2012 budget.

It is evident that we have worked hard, and I have worked far above my expected hours, to ensurethatVUWSA to choose from say about the finances and all other things VUWSA at the VUWSA AGM on the 22nd of AugYuestsa!tP1uprmc.hase 3 Cookies and get 1 extra Cookie FREE!

Look out for more details on posters around campus, or on Facebook.