VUWSA Vice-President (Academic)

Welcome to Josh’s Dank Den of Monthly Student Unionism. I wanna take you to the SFO (serious fun office!)*

Touch-and-go, too-soon, close-to-the-bone jokes about the misfortunes of our fellow students associations aside, it’s the arts issue. While I make no effort to be artistic, I pour my heart and soul into being artful (a la the dodger) every day.

Figure 1: my luring of you into reading this column. Make no mistake: good looks and witticisms aside, I’m still from VUWSA. ‘That old doozy!’ I hear you say, a smile on your face. “Yes,” I reassure you, “this old doozy.”

Okay, back on track. Really, I swear we’re not as placid as you might think. Besides, my self-indulgence is riding at an all-time high and feeds off your readership. In exchange for your continued reading of this column, I promise to avoid dryness; in fact—I pledge to make this as wet as possible (oh ho ho ho, no).

So in an easy show of goodwill, I’ll refrain from regailing you with the goings-on of the association with this half-page. You can find all of that information on our website, in the news pages of this fine publication, and in Bridie’s column should you desire it.

Instead, I use this column with the hope of establishing and continuing, as far as is possible for a social outcast like myself, a genuine rapport with the student body. A revelation: we at VUWSA, contrary to stubborn rumour, are not humourless robots.

Put simply: I hold executive accessibility in high esteem. There’s no use claiming to be representative if students don’t find you approachable in the first instance. While I realise my crassness and failing attempts at humour may repel some of the more fair-minded of our students, I’m quick to reassure that it’s merely attention-seeking; I’m legitimately cherubic over email and in person. Just try me.

As the officer in charge of advocating and lobbying for quality and fairness in education at this University, I am open to hearing whatever it is you have to say. Actually, I get paid (meagrely, mind you) to listen and relay your viewpoint. Good or bad, let me hear it.

avp@vuwsa.org.nz

*Our best wishes to Auckland University Students’ Association, who have been taken to the Serious Fraud Office by students.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this