Editorial – Wasted Time

You’ll notice on the front of this week’s Salient it says ‘Issue 21’. Do you see that? That’s our 21st issue. Issue 21. Twenty-one.That’s right; it’s the fourth- to-last Salient we’ll make this year. That reminds us: it’s September. Holy shit goddamn.You know what comes after September? October. And after that there’s November, then December, then… twenty-fucking-thirteen.

Sure New Years’ might be fun, but think of all that’s got to happen before then. Exams are in UNDER TWO MONTHS—and that’s not to mention all the assignments due before then. Deadlines. With all of this current business and future hustle, it’s hard to ever stop and place yourself in the moment.You move from one place to the next, from one day to the next, without even noticing it. First you were in a hall, but next minute exams are done and you’re turfed out into a ‘flat’—or alternately you move into a bus shelter (much of a much, really).

Oh, the excitement! The politics of picking your flatmates, the trials of comprehending the lease agreement, the mission of assembling the inevitably crippling bond and advance rent payments—there is truly no end to the fun. Beware the landlord (operative word being lord). We were blessed, in our first year of the ‘real world’, with a delightful ‘lord by the name of Dave.
On our first meeting with Dave, our now-flat mother Dan*—who is partial to the odd hunting expedition—asked Dave whether it would be permissible to keep guns in the house. After an eight-months-pregnant pause, which the rest of us interpreted as a sure sign that homelessness was now all but certain, Dave responded: “I do like the outdoors…”

Eloquent in his brevity, was Dave. And, it seemed, in a permanent state of ‘chill’. When ‘Harry’ was ever-so- slightly miffed one evening and passed his fist through the panelling of a cupboard we were at first concerned for the integrity of our bond. But when Dave arrived to survey the damage, he shrugged and said “I’ve done worse.”The cupboard was restored and nothing more was said. Though but a year old, these fond memories seem to occupy a time long ago. It all happened very quickly. Standing now in September, experiences yet to come seem but a foggy future. But then now, still standing in September, you look back upon the year that has been, noting how quickly it has passed, and it becomes clear just how swiftly those distant futures become moments of reality, and then memories like any other.

It is because of this non-stop tick-tock pop-pop of the clock that we thought it wise to get a hold of time for one moment. Unless you somehow manage to construct a TARDIS (the one in McLaurin doesn’t work—we tried), this week’s Salient will have to do. Time may eventually get us, but for this issue at least, let us get time. *Names have not been changed to protect privacy.

Ollie served dutifully alongside Asher Emanuel as Co-editor of Salient throughout the tumult of 2012. He has contributed to Salient since 2011 and intends to do so for the rest of his waking life.

1