Ngai Tauira: Kia Hiwa Ra!

I tēnei wā o te kōanga ngā mihi ki a koutou ngā tauira Māori o Wikitōria. Hopefully we’ve all returned from the break rejuvenated to hit the ground running on the home stretch with assignments and tests.

During the first week of the break a delegation from Ngāi Tauira flew to Dunedin for Te Huinga Tauira, the annual meeting
of Māori students. 180 tauira from around New Zealand met under the guidance of Te Mana Ākonga (the national Māori student association) and the manaakitanga of Te Roopū Māori (the Māori students’ association of Otago University). It was a great opportunity for us to meet other like-minded Māori students in a social environment of sports, kapa haka, debate, discussion of current issues facing Māori and participation in general scarfie activities, i te āhua o te kī he huinga tangata he huinga Māori he huinga tauira ka tika! As a fourth-time participant of Te Huinga Tauira I am still amazed at the skill, intelligence and whanaungatanga of Māori students at Te Huinga Tauira; I encourage all Māori students to mark this as
a must-do event while at university. Though a location has yet to be chosen for 2013, I have no doubt the kaupapa of Te Huinga Tauira will continue to support the well-being of Māori students, whānau, hapū, marae and iwi. Pīki mihi to Te Roopū Māori for pulling off a flawless event. To all the rōpu tauira Māori o Aotearoa, koutou e ngana ana ki te whakamana i te rangatiratanga o te Māori nāu hoki a Ngāi Tauira i hāpai kia tau ai tēnei tangata. Kia kaha ki te mahi i tōu mahi, i te āhua o tērā waiata i rangona noatia “Takahia takahia kia whakarongo ai ngā iwi. Pupuritia, pupuritia, pupuritia a tāua mahi e”. Ka nui te mihi ka nui te mihi kia ora rā koutou.

For most tauira, the end of the year is fast approaching. Before the assignments pile up and examinations are at the door, Ngāi Tauira are asking for feedback and suggestions of what you would like to see from Ngāi Tauira next year. From orientation, social events, and academic programmes to advocacy, faculty representation and issues to push on the student forum.

Join Ngāi Tauira’s group page on Facebook and leave a comment, otherwise e-mail Joanna Morgan at joanna.morgan@vuw.ac.nz. Anonymous letters can be sent to Ngai Tauira, P.O Box 600, Victoria University of Wellington.
Ngāi Tauira is owned and operated by Māori students of Victoria, so get involved and have your say.