Nothin’ But Net

Is it sexist to hate women’s sports?

My answer is no.

But before I get beaten down for allegedly trying to plant a bigot tree, let me defend myself.

Women’s sport is an inferior species, but there are good reasons for that. Some can be remedied, some can’t.

First, men and women are fundamentally different. Most people will concede this, and the reality is that men tend to be better geared towards sport.

Consider the extra testosterone that men produce, and how it translates to added competitiveness on the field/court/pool/ whatever they use in Quidditch. Also factor in the higher proportion of muscle that men have put those differences into an arena in the same way.

This isn’t to say that all men are better at sports than all women, but that a man at his peak will always get selected over a woman at hers. Always.

Carry out a simple thought experiment. Pit the All Blacks’ scrum against the Black Ferns’. Who wins that battle?

Once you’re done with imagining our rugby ladies getting mauled, look at the shoulders on Dwight Howard and come back to me when you find his female equivalent. Then find a woman as quick as Usain Bolt or with the talent of Dan Carter or Israel Dagg.

Second, men’s sport generates far more interest than women’s, drawing bigger crowds and higher ratings on TV. The result is more money being siphoned into the male product.

Among other things, this means more money goes towards player development and the viability of a career for the athletes.

Men get better coaching because the market demands it. Many of our female athletes are amateur so they have to find other jobs to stay afloat, limiting their ability to get better at their sport.

Finally, men’s sports are more competitive to enter. Pliny the Elder once said that competition breeds excellence. While I made that up, he wouldn’t have been wrong if he did say it.

With more boys growing up interested in sports than girls, players that make it big are better because they have to be.

1