On Campus

Staring at estere

This week we spoke to singer-song writer Estere Dalton, staunch advocate of the chai latte and possessor of much talent.

How and when did you get into playing instruments, and later producing your own beats? I was really young but I never stuck to things. 

I started with the harp when I was five and then at eleven began playing the drums and fell in love. I did a solo act with guitar, bass and drums in Rock Quest and came second in Wellington, then won the NZ Women’s Musicianship Award. With that money I was able to do recordings and make a layered sound for the first time.

Who are your favourite kiwi artists?

I like Electric Wire Hustle and love Lawrence Arabia’s new album.

You opened for Sola Rosa at their show in Wellington a couple of weeks ago – how was that?
Quite nerve-wracking with an audience I didn’t know. Usually I have a lot of friends in the crowd but this was a different mix of people. It was good to test the waters and they reacted really well.

Favourite venue?

Home turf would have to be Bodega because I’m there all the time, but I enjoy playing all over the place – San Fran, Mighty, Matterhorn.

Your song Culture Clash is an intimate expression of your heritage – tell us a bit about your folks.

My mum and dad are from different cultures and parts of the world. I’ve grown up with two influences outside my immediate environment which has given me a different perspective and range of view for understanding things. My mum is a New Zealander and my dad grew up in France and Cameroon, so I speak French and Deutsch from when I did an exchange to Germany.

Who are your biggest inspirations, and what are your goals for your music?
My mum and my grandma, not musically but for the way that they approach life. They are very driven and well-rounded people so they are fantastic role models for me. I take confidence from them. I have so many musical inspirations but I really value originality in music. I started four months ago with my MPC Lola, and got so many gigs with such little material, so my short-term goal is to produce a good-length set list. I also want to make music that’s accessible to everyone.

Along with your solo effort, you’re a part of soul group; BrocaFlowerSaurus. What’s the chemistry within the group? Creative compromise or creative explosion?

It’s a mixture of both. No one can get their own way all the time, it’s about coming together and making, It’s about layering each other’s ideas and learning from one another.

I think that’s all our questions, oh wait, did you hear Morgan Freeman is dead?? What?!
(Matt easily fooled by internet hoax) 

1