Partisan Hacks

Salient asked: “Auckland’s Independent Maori Statutory Board has recently recommended that te reo Maori ought be compulsory in all Auckland schools. Should this policy be adopted nation-wide?” The Hacks respond…

ACt on campus – michael warren

ACT on Campus does not have an official position on this issue, but we fully support private or partnership schools teaching te reo Maori. However, it should be noted that teachers only have a limited time during the day to teach children the necessary skills they need later in life. Therefore, adding a comprehensive Māori language programme to the national curriculum must be done under appropriate recommendations and careful consideration.

Vic labour – morehu rei

Research shows that people who learn Maori at a young age will be able to easily adapt to other languages such as Samoan and Japanese. VicLabour believes that the introduction of the universal teaching of Maori in schools will not only benefit Kiwi kids by allowing them to get a greater understanding of this country’s history and culture, but will also provide them with greater opportunities to engage with our international neighbours in the Pacific.

greens @ Vic – Harriet Farquar

Learning Te Reo Maori should most certainly be compulsory in all New Zealand schools. As one of our official languages, a cultural taonga, and an important means of educating young New Zealanders about our heritage and society, we should be working towards providing all New Zealand children with quality teaching of Te Reo Maori.

vic nats – christian hermansen

The VicNats believe that, because New Zealand is a multi cultural society, education about all cultures is important. As Maori culture is central to New Zealand’s history, there ought to be a place for Maori language in our school’s curriculum, however this should be left to the individual students to choose if they study it or not.

nz first

Unfortunately, NZ First Youth’s representative Josh van Veen did not deign to respond to Salient’s perfectly reasonable query. What a shame.

1