Partisan Hacks

Salient asked, “Do you support the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement?” The Hacks respond…

ACT On Campus – Michael Warren

ACT on Campus supports measures that lower the cost the trade and remove necessary trading barriers. The Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement is a multilateral trade agreement that supports these propositions. However, it must not be burdened by more regulations are rules than before or it will defeat its purpose.

Nz First Youth – Josh Van Veen

No. The removal of trade barriers is a laudable goal but one that is often undermined by realpolitik – an inescapable part of international relations. The Government’s first priority in any trade talks should be protecting New Zealand’s economic sovereignty. The TPP would give big foreign corporations the ability to undermine our democratic process and stop future governments from changing the law in ways that they believe might harm their profits. This must be opposed.

vic labour – morehu Rei

As it stands, we do not support the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement. If it was negotiated in a way which would be good for New Zealand then we would consider supporting it, however at present, it does not look likely that this will happen.

Vic Nats – Christian hermansen

The VicNats believe that reducing the trade barriers that our exporters and importers face is an important way of increasing their competitiveness in the Asia-Pacific region, something that the TPP achieves. Any agreement which restricts the government from regulating in the public interest, would simply not be accepted.

greens@vic

Unfortunately, Greens at Vic’s representative did not deign to respond to Salient’s perfectly reasonable query. What a shame.