Partisan Hacks

Voluntary euthanasia—the right to, in certain circumstances, opt to end one’s own life—is not legal currently in New Zealand. Labour MP Maryan Street’s End of Life Choice member’s bill seeks to change this. A recent poll conducted by the Sunday Star-Times found that 85 per cent of the 1,000 respondents favour legalisation. 

Salient asked, “Do you support the legalization of voluntary euthanasia?” The Hacks respond… 

vic labour – Chelsea Torrence

Yes, people who are terminally ill or are suffering from an irreversible disease should have the right to death with dignity if they choose.

Greens@Vic – Harriet Farquar

Green Party policy is developed by members through a process involving consultation and dialogue, and currently we do not have a position on voluntary suicide or euthanasia. Given the nature of the issue however, and the recent court decision in relation to voluntary suicide, this is an issue on which we would welcome constructive public discussion.

Vic Nats – Christian Hermansen

The VicNats believe that, as this is a conscience issue of great importance to many, we see that it is best to leave it to our members to decide where they stand individually.

NZ First

Unfortunately NZ First Youth failed to respond to Salient’s question this week. Tragic.

ACT On Campus

Unfortunately Act on Campus did not deign to respond to Salient’s question this week. Maybe one day…