Political Analysis Of The Week

Feel Inside (and stuff like that)

The recently released charity single spearheaded by Flight of the Conchords has been a chart-topper, winning the hearts of music lovers all over the country. But did you realise it actually contains a solid political analysis? From the opening stanza discussing ‘bubble mixture’—an obvious allusion to the property market—to possibly the most shrewd deconstruction of taxation ever expressed in verse, with the analysis: “We’ll go to people’s homes and ask to borrow some money … we’ll give them back less money and cause them confusion”. That’s the solution, that’s the collusion indeed. Perhaps the most barefaced reference is in rapper Savage’s cameo, though, where he espouses digging for “oil, crystals and gold”— the exploitation of New Zealand’s mineral resources presumably being necessary to fuel the ever-burgeoning welfare state. Not only this, but the ‘teeth’ of the population must be harvested and assimilated in a giant bowl. I could go on forever. Flirting with the line between satire and earnest exhortation,

1. Recipes from the Suffrage Cookbook
  2. Beneath Skin and Bone
  3. No Common Ground
  4. Chris Dave and the Drumhedz
  5. Good Girls
  6. Winter Warmers: Home Alone
  7. Winter Warmers: About Time
  8. Sex at Dawn
  9. BANG!
  10. PSC: One Ocean