Rogue VC: “I got this”

AUCKLAND DESPOT WRITES POLICY, DISREGARDS UNION

An academic dispute has erupted at Auckland University, leading the Tertiary Education Union to take legal action against the Vice- Chancellor who allegedly drafted university policies without any staff input.

TEU branch co-president Paul Taillon has published an open letter outlining the union’s ‘bitter disappointment’ with Vice-Chancellor Stuart McCutcheon’s proposed ‘Academic Standards’ policies which breaches clause

2.6 of their Academic Collective Agreement which “mandates ‘participatory processes’ when reviewing key University policies.”

“Had the Vice-Chancellor properly notified the union of intention to review

the Academic Grades-Standards and Criteria policy, the TEU would have gladly participated in a working group to develop a proposal,” says Mr Taillon.

Although the Vice-Chancellor now intends to present his policies to a ‘Review Group,’ he is free to ignore any recommendations they make.

TEU members are urged not to engage with the Vice-Chancellor’s review process, and the branch is planning to stage informal protests outside each of the review briefings.

“Sadly, it appears that the era of collegial participation in University governance was not meant to be,” said Taillon.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,