Student Counselling

Taking Note of life & Everyday Emotions

At this time of the year life can feel overwhelming. The holidays are over and the work seems to be stacking up with assignments all due in the next few weeks, and on top of all your study you may have many other commitments.

At times like this it can sometimes seem like everything that you do is an obligation to someone else—your lecturers expect
that work will be handed in on time, your work expects that you will do the hours you agreed to, your family may expect you to visit regularly, or you may be expected to do certain jobs around your flat. You may even find that the obligation is coming from yourself, from standards and expectations that you have set for yourself.

Sometimes in the midst of life it is easy to lose a sense of ourselves as we become moulded by the expectations surrounding us. Feelings may become overwhelming and confused, or alternatively everything may seem grey as you automatically do the things required.

There are a couple of steps that some students have found useful. The first one is to become aware and accepting of the emotions that we are feeling in the moment. This doesn’t have to be in the moments when we are at our most emotional but can be in the small things also. For example noticing the annoyance when the wind blows your hair around, or the frustration of missing the bus, or the sadness of seeing someone mistreated.

The second step is to linger a little longer on little things in life you like. It might be that in your normal daily routine you discover that you feel invigorated by the daily walk home, that you find a sense of peace when you are able to eat your lunch alone or that you find acceptance in chat with certain people prior to class.

These small examples of emotion are all things that help us understand what makes us tick. Taking notice of them is one good way of keeping in one piece over the busy parts of the year.