Things You Already Know But Just Need To Be Told

Columns I’m too scared Too write

The one about how too many people are wasting their time in the theatre community stressing over why they make theatre and justifying it to themselves (as if someone is forcing them to) instead of actually just making it and not worrying. Novelists don’t spend hours crying over why they write novels, and whether this is novel or a film or whatever. They have chosen their form and get on with it. Peter Jackson never had to hold a forum to discuss why he should make films and what that means to the community. He just tells stories. Some people just need to get a little over themselves.

The one about about how most people on Tumblr just need to fuck off and fuck up.

The one about the time that I posted ‘Any man who thinks that he’s more oppressed than a woman is deluded’ on Facebook and was inundated with ‘right on’ comments about how I was wrong and what if he was gay or not white or disabled or transgendered or whatever. As if I hadn’t considered those things at all. I so believe in the politically correct, left-wing way of thinking, but so many of the people in that camp can be such fucking nanas. Yes there are horrible displays of oppression and privilege going on everywhere and people should be called out on them but people need to calm down and stop policing whether people are leftist enough or the right kind of feminist or believe in the exact right revolution. There is a reason people are branded fun police and sometimes it’s justified.

The one about my own need to feel special and the constant feeling of gratuitous disappointment I get at other people doing things that were never meant to hurt me in any way. ‘Oh, another person writing a play about their depression, that means I’ve got to put my one off again.’ Get over yourself, me.

The one about how everyone is an idiot. Especially the smart people. And this is all because we have over the past twenty years developed a very virulent strain of entertainment designed to make dumb people feel smart—sci fi, the vlogbrothers, QI, things like that (things I like, basically).

The one about how we all abhor stereotypes and cliches so much that we are forced to reenact them. With special and direct reference as to how this is most prevalent with racial and gender stereotypes.

The one about how modern feminism is too—Nope. Not even here.

Uther was one of the two arts editors in 2009. He was the horoscopier and theatre writer in 2010. Alongside Elle Hunt, Uther was coeditor in 2011.

1