VUWSA Presidential Address

Welcome back! I hope you all had a great holiday and got some well-deserved R&R. Congratulations to those of you who completed your assignments and readings as planned. To those who didn’t, at least you planned to!

VUWSA Special General Meeting

Thank you so much to those of you who came to the VUWSA Annual General Meeting during week 6. We successfully passed the VUWSA Half Year Report and Statements of Accounts, which will be available on the VUWSA website within the week for anyone who is interested. However, unfortunately we lost quorum before we could have a vote on the important VUWSA Governance Review. For a meeting to be quorate (open and able to conduct business) we need at least 100 VUWSA members in the meeting at all times.

Because we did not get around to a vote, we will be holding a Special General Meeting this Wednesday (and you thought I was done with discussing the Governance Review!). The meeting will be held in the Clubs Lounge, with the meeting starting at 1.15pm—but doors will be open from 1pm! And along with the general fun that is a VUWSA Special General Meeting, we will be able to celebrate the close of the meeting with a pizza lunch.

Money Money, Fees Fees, Debt Debt

This Monday will be the second meeting of the Student Forum. The majority of the meeting will be spent dedicated to a discussion about fees (which are being set by the University Council at the end of this month). Chancellor Ian McKinnon
and Vice-Chancellor Pat Walsh will be presenting a breakdown of what happens to your University fees. This will be open to all students and there will be a chance to ask questions and grill the Chancellor and Vice- Chancellor about where your money is going.

The meeting will start at 5pm and is being held in the ritzy Hunter Council Chamber (that’s in the Hunter building). This is a great opportunity for you to learn more about how Universities are funded and where your contribution goes. If you have a burning question but can’t make the meeting, send your questions to president@vuwsa.org.nz and we’ll post your question and the response on the VUWSA facebook page.

Marriage Equality

Over the holidays we joined hundreds of other New Zealanders in a march to Parliament in support of Marriage Equality. Last year at the VUWSA AGM we passed a motion that VUWSA support Legalise Love (a campaign based around marriage and adoption equality) and we have been actively involved the campaign to support all New Zealanders being able to marry the people they love.

At the SGM this week, not only will be discussing the Governance Review, but there is also a motion that has been put forward that VUWSA actively support Louisa Walls’ Marriage (Definition of Marriage) Amendment Bill. We want to make a strong public stand in support of this bill.

Victoria Blues Awards

Nominations are now open for the Victoria Blues Awards. The Victoria Blues are the highest sporting accolade that can be attained at a university level. The Blues recognize a University student’s performance in representing New Zealand, whilst successfully progressing their academic studies.

The awards are highly coveted and can be awarded in in two categories—for sporting achievement, and for excellence in sports administration. There are also the supreme awards for Sports Person of the Year, Sports Administrator of the Year and Maori Sports Person of the Year. Past Blues winners include Jerry Collins and Conrad Smith. If this sounds like a bit of you, check out the VUWSA website for further information!

That’s all from me this week. See you cool kids at the SGM on Wednesday!

1