VUWSA Women’s Officer

This week VUWSA celebrates its annual Women’s Week, a week designed to draw attention to women’s issues on campus and in the wider Wellington and New Zealand communities as well as celebrate the accomplishments that women have made.

We are kicking off the week with an open lecture in SU218 at 11:30 from Dr. Anne Galloway from the School of Design about
the representations of sanitary hygiene in advertising. Whether it’s women running along a beach in bright white shorts or watching their boyfriends play robot, these ads are always a mix of disheartening and hilarious and it makes you wonder why this is such a tough subject to put on television. Following that on Monday night the ladies from Victoria’s own Debating Society are going to be hashing out one of the most divisive topics in the history of feminism: pornography. Is
it an affront to women? Is there something inherently sexist about graphic portrayals of sex? Come along to the memorial Theatre Foyer, 6pm Monday to find out!

On Tuesday we’re delving into the political with a speaker from New Zealand’s Public Service Association discussing the fact that women continue to earn only four fifths that of men in 2012. Topics covered will include what legislative and cultural changes need to occur as well as plenty of tips for women soon to be hitting the job market and those scary interviews. Afterwards, a speaker from Positive Women will be talking about women living with HIV, how it can be prevented and what you can do to help. Both events are in SU218 at 12 and 2:30 respectively.

Suffrage Day on Wednesday 19th brings more politics with a visit from Holly Walker at 4pm. She’ll be discussing what it’s like to be a young woman in Parliament, what barriers still exist for female politicians as well as the amazing advances that have been made. If you’re feeling like socialising come along a bit early because from 3pm we’ll be celebrating Suffrage Day with a old-style tea party in SU218.

Thursday brings a health theme and we’ll be starting at 1pm in SU218 with a nutrition talk provided by Student Health. All topics relevant to women’s nutrition while studying will be covered included dieting, iron and anaemia and maintaining healthy energy levels. At 2 we’ll be heading over to the Rec Centre for a free yoga class, you don’t need to be a gym member to attend, just show up in some comfy clothes!

Lastly on Friday, we have Catherine Healy from the New Zealand Prostitute’s Collective talking about the rights of sex workers in New Zealand. This will be a great opportunity to debunk some of the myths around this often poorly represented industry. 2pm in Meeting Room 2. I hope to see all your beautiful faces there, it’s going to be an amazing week!