World Watch

AN UNINFORMED PEEK INTO THE IRANIAN PROBLEM

Many on this fair planet have long suspected Iran to have nuclear ambitions. Now Russia has weighed in, continuing speculation that Iran is building nuclear weapons.

Foreign Minister Sergei Ryabkov, Russia’s key spokesperson on Iran’s nuclear programme, says there is no evidence that movements of nuclear material within Iran are being used for military purposes, and that all such material is being overseen by certified inspectors with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA).

“We, as before, see no signs that there is a military dimension to Iran’s nuclear programme – no signs,” he said.

Interestingly, the IAEA has released documentation stating that the number of underground centrifuges in Iran containing nuclear material has doubled in the last few months, a clear sign that the controversial ruling regime has no intentions of slowing down their nuclear programme.

Furthermore the IAEA does believe Iran has previously conducted explosive tests that could be associated nuclear weapons development.

Is Iran planning to build nuclear weapons? Who knows. Salient certainly can’t make a calculated—or even educated—judgement. But that doesn’t matter. (It never does.)

Even if Iran had nuclear weapons, the retaliation it would cause would be suicide for the country.

What’s scarier is Israel’s fear of those weapons. Some citizens have been issued with gas masks, and some say it certainly has the potential to preemptively attack Iran. If they did so the body count is sure to be high.

Ryabkov has warned Israel and the U.S that such an attack “would be harmful, literally disastrous for regional stability.”

Russia has also spoken out against US-backed economic sanctions against Iran which could go further than those affirmed by UN resolutions.

The U.S has also warned Israel against making a preemptive attack without the cooperation of its allies, in the wake of speculation that Israel may commence military action against Iran before the US Presidential election in November.

As for Israel itself, its government has been dealing with a high-level leak which has brought embarrassment to its senior ministers. The leak concerned the details of a meeting that discussed whether anything more could be done to hinder Iran’s nuclear programme.

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has spoken out against whoever has “violated the most basic trust needed to hold security cabinet discussions on matters about Israel’s security”. Happily, Netanyahu has not laid any blame on media who reported it, who he said were “doing their job”.

It may be time to start digging a shelter.

1