Eye On Exec

“WE’VE GOT TO HAVE A PARTY”

“We’ve got to have an executive party,” said Vice-President (Academic) Josh Wright.

Salient was allowed at the table again like a real person, and Wright threw Salient a Kit Kat courtesy of Treasurer William Guzzo, to stave off the hunger so often felt by Salient at 5:30 on a Wednesday afternoon.

Meeting opens.

“Take the food and pass it on,” said Guzzo.

He then presented the conclusions from the Audit and Finance committee’s VUWSA Service Review.

“We want to make sure we’re financially sustainable.”

“AUSA is almost insolvent. They went into VSM in the nineties, and this is where they are now, we need to keep looking at our finances.”

The review suggests examining where the association stands with NZUSA, and whether they could lobby for a fee decrease.

“We’re not trying distance ourselves from NZUSA, we just want to make sure we’re getting value for money,” said Guzzo.

The review further advocates looking for ways to “increase the coherency” between Salient and VUWSA, as well as reviewing all ‘non-media’ publications and the sustainability of the VBC.

Non-media publications include the wall planner and diary given away to VUWSA members at the beginning of the year. While ad revenue means VUWSA breaks even on the wall planner, the diary cost the association $35,000 this year.

Most of the executive agreed the diary was not consistently used by enough students to warrant the cost.

The review also recommends reprioritising spending away from the under utilised ‘Campus Angel’s’ initiative.

The executive then went into committee on which Salient cannot report.

When they emerged from committee, Hood said the University would like to see one of the representatives from VUWSA on the Academic Advisory Committee for the Student Services Levy replaced with an elected member of the Student Forum.

But Hood said they had yet to receive a reply to their letter to the University in which they voiced the associations concerns about the forum.

The executive then discussed whether they should vote for Pete Hodkinson’s reelection to the NZUSA Presidency. Hodkinson is running unopposed, although VUWSA voted for another candidate in 2011.

They then spent the last fifteen minutes discussing which movie to play in the Hunter Lounge during mental health awareness week. They decided on Little Miss Sunshine.

“My favourite part is when the van starts honking and it won’t stop honking!” said Hood.

1. There’s a New Editor
1