October 15, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Game Of Thrones: The Top 10 Sporting Moments of 2012

1. Bond and Murray: When your rivals switch sports to actually win something, your team might be pretty good. That’s what happened with Bond and Murray before they predictably destroyed the field (well, lake) in London. They headlined an All-Star rowing squad while smashing the world record by six seconds en route to victory.

2. The last 90 seconds of the English Premier League: It was around 3am on a Monday morning and three friends and I had started celebrating Manchester United’s dramatic Premier League victory over rivals City. 90 seconds of madness and two goals later we were left red-faced (or should that be blue-faced?) as City pulled off the comeback of the year. I woke up the following morning to the most eloquent text message I’ve ever received from my dad: “Fucking City.”

3. Sonny Bill & Quade Cooper: While I’m no huge fan of either Sonny Bill or Quade Cooper, I love nothing more than a good bromance. After exchanging cute tweets and smiley faces throughout the year, Sonny and Quade look set to take the next step in their relationship and will most likely light up the NRL next year, making my hatred of them unfair. Sigh.

4. The All Blacks actually trying a dropped goal: Unbeaten in 2012, it looks as if the All Blacks are about to shatter the mighty Lithuania’s test match winning record. Ignoring the win in South Africa and the thrashing of Argentina, it was just so good to see Dan Carter ditch the legitimate-running- rugby philosophy that has plagued the team with their tendency to lose close games at World Cups. The drop goal—the most underused play in New Zealand rugby—to defeat Ireland is my All Blacks highlight.

5. The Hurricanes stunning everyone by not being shit: The 2012 Hurricanes were in disarray after
their stars gapped it, leaving above-average semi- professionals and washed-up squad fillers. In response, the rag-tag bunch of lovable losers stepped up and stunned the competition by almost making the playoffs. Better yet, Ma’a Nonu took his off-field problems with him to Auckland. Suckers.

6. The 4×100 men’s relay final: Usain Bolt, Yohan Blake, Nesta Carter and Michael Frater formed the historic Jamaican Dream Team. It was like Cool Runnings, but with actual winners and no Al Gore (so yeah, winners). The USA almost caused an upset, but Blake and Bolt helped break their own record in a thrilling finish.

7. LeBron James and the Miami Heat finally walk the walk and win an NBA title: I always found it a touch misplaced for averagely-sized Caucasian males to find it within themselves to criticise the world’s premier basketballer about his sporting skills. It was, then, quite pleasing to see LeBron James pick up his first NBA ring in June, and the banter traversing permanently to a critique of Mr James’ receding hairline.

8. The Olympic opening and closing ceremonies: Until shooting small men out of cannons becomes an official sport of the Olympics, the opening and closing ceremonies will continue to be the most consistently irrelevant parts of the Games. The only reason this features on my top ten can be summed up in three words: Spice Girls reunion.

9. Emile Heskey signs for the Jets: Fuck The Beatles arriving in NZ. The Jets have single-handedly put
the A-League on the world football map by signing football’s Black Jesus. Yes, arguably the greatest striker of this generation is now playing in little old Australia. They play in Wellington on January 27 and March 23. Be there.

10. The 2012 Warriors’ season ends. Finally: Inept management and embarrassingly outclassed players defined the Warriors’ 2012 season. It was like the Black Caps, but with actual expectation based on being any good the season before. As the 2012 season ended, people could finally start waiting for 2013. At least it can’t get any worse, right? Right?

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June