October 15, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Grammar Counsel Of The Week

Sub-Editorial

Let me share with you some tips on how to type things like a normal human being. They’re simple, and will score you at least an extra two per cent on any given essay. Firstly, never, ever, double- space after a full stop: “I have a girlfriend. She is wonderful.” Word processors are designed to space your work correctly—hitting the spacebar twice at the end of a sentence is the worst thing you can do at that point, with the possible exception of using more than one exclamation mark in earnest. Secondly, please don’t make up your own words, unless you really, really know what you’re doing. Neologophilia is a dangerous passion. Get a girlfriend. Random Overcapitalisation is another Silly thing for you to Insert in your work, Even if you think it’s warranted. Trust me, it’s Not. I guess the only other thing to add is know when to use your apostrophes, especially in this age of textual communication. There’s an almighty difference between admiring your girlfriend’s and your girlfriends’ lovely legs—it may save your life someday.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos