October 1, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Ngai Tauira

“Māori and Pacific people are more likely to blah blah blah blah blah”. Well non-Māori and non-Pacific people are more likely to do shit research projects, if you ask me. Why is it that every study carried out in New Zealand, without fail, throws this kōrero out like it’s a revelation? Just so Professor Tāne McKūare can say: “yep, still on the bottom, just checked. My social network is still on top, I can relax now”. Seek and you shall find, Prof. If you go looking for brown people at the bottom of the heap, you’ll find ‘em. Even Māori media adopt this whakaaro, churning it out daily. To take Snoop’s words, “bitch please!”

The current kaupapa out is poverty and every media wave you surf, ko taua āhua anō rā. A brown face here and a brown face there. As a Māori, as a New Zealand Pākehā, a Dane, a German, a Scotsman and a Scandinavian (and proud of all of it), it annoys me when I think about the fact that poverty is like John Key’s face in John Banks’s bedroom—it’s fully there, it’s just hidden in the undie drawer. But make no mistake, all the different colour undies are touching it. See it has nothing to do with colour because if it did, colonisation and its skin bleaching etiquette should have ensured I become wealthy beyond belief. Whānau, I’m still waiting for my cheque.

Anyway, this week there is a KidsCan fundraiser happening around the Kelburn Campus. Te Herenga Waka Marae are donating half of the money they take from their $6 lunches (Tuesday to Thursday), Bec’s cafe are donating $1 from all coffees sold on Wednesday and there are collection buckets at VUWSA, VicBooks and Bec’s cafe. VicPlus volunteers are running collection stalls in the Kirk and McLaurin foyers. It would be choice if we could raise some money to feed and clothe kids in decile 1-4 schools. Whether your contribution is big or small, it really is appreciated. And who knows, your kids (or mine) might need this one day. If you’re like me, you already know people that have benefited from this. If you want to help out in some way, hit me up at: feedourtamariki@gmail.com.

“Tiakina te rito o te harakeke.”