Not Dead Yet

AUSA CRAWLS FROM GRAVE

AUSA avoided insolvency at its SGM on Wednesday, after a motion was passed that will give the Executive until the end of the year to continue its negotiations for funding from the University of Auckland.

The SGM was called for by We Are The University (WATU) who wanted no settlement reached until “such time as any proposed agreements have been made publically available to all association members and ratified by a simple majority at a general meeting by the association.”

The motion passed after it was amended to state it would not come into effect until 1 January 2013.

WATU felt that University management would exploit the current financial situation of AUSA by taking advantage of the inexperience of the Executive.

However this would not have left the executive enough time to pass the agreement needed secure funding and avoid insolvency before the end of the semester

Following the vote on the motion, the Executive is free to continue its negotiations with the University for the remainder of this year.

If negotiations are successful, university management will take over some AUSA property, but AUSA will receive a set amount of funding for the next 13 years.

President Arena Williams said that the loss of some property will not harm the role and function of AUSA.

“The need to vacate the space does not mean that AUSA will stop providing any of our current services,” she said.

The Executive is confident that the negotiation process will ensure that AUSA maintains its independence and power as a student advocacy group and service provider.

However, the it has said that it will “continue consultation on the shape of negotiations.”

Under the current contract with The University of Auckland, AUSA must negotiate funding from the University annually.

1. There’s a New Editor
1