NZUSA Slips Into Something More Comfortable

Happy with support role, honest.

The New Zealand Union of Students’ Associations Congress was held in Wellington from 5 to 8 October.

Following the passing of the VSM Bill last year, maximizing support for students’ associations has been the primary focus of NZUSA.

Thirteen students’ associations attended the congress to set new resolutions for the national body and discuss the new services being provided by NZUSA.

VUWSA President Bridie Hood was pleased with the outcomes of the NZUSA Congress, stating that it was a good opportunity for students’ associations to discuss how “student control of student affairs” has been affected by the legislative change.

“I think we’ve all gone away from this congress more united as a group and even more invigorated to affect positive change for students,” she said.

NZUSA will be offering new leadership services under the name of NZUSA PLUS+.

Services which are likely to be provided include; expanded governance and management training, copying/printing and IT provision, accounting services, and facilitating O Week access to national and international acts.

“Students’ associations operate very differently from other groups, even other non-for-profits, so having governance trainings that relate specifically to our needs will be beneficial for everyone,” said Hood.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos