October 15, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

Te Tau Kua Pahure

This is the final column from Ngāi Tauira for the 2012 year; the year that wasn’t. The new executive started out with a lot of enthusiasm and expectation, anticipating the recognition of Te Tiriti o Waitangi at Victoria University, beyond a statute that claims to recognise Māori as tangata whenua of Aotearoa, toward a relationship that recognises the ability of Māori students to organise and action their own hopes and dreams for te reo Māori, tikanga Māori, and matters of the university community and the wider public that concern our whānau, hapū and iwi. That an agent of the crown has failed to recognise the rangatiratanga of Māori is nothing new, nor is the failure of a university to recognise the rangatiratanga of its students, but the disappointment is still there.

Te Wiki o Te Reo came and went with very little involvement and support from Victoria University. A traditionally iconic week in Ngāi Tauira`s calendar and the opportunity to support te reo Māori at Victoria flew by untouched. This is a personal disappointment that will hopefully be rectified next year. I ngā kupu o tērā kaupapa rangatira rā, kia kore ai e ngaro taku reo rangatira.

Moving on to student politics. Victoria’s response to VSM included the production of a student forum, designed to capture the ‘diverse’ opinions of students on campus to consult with council. While conversation and debate in the forum are awesome to watch and participate in, the forum is yet to bear fruits that will enhance the experiences of tauira Māori at Victoria. This is after all the university’s processes, and we will have to wait until 2013 to see what the student forum is really capable of. On that note, we hope that in 2013 Victoria considers and fulfils its privilege as a treaty partner with Māori, particularly tauira Māori.

So at the end of an extended grumble regarding the 2012 year I want to finish on a much more important note by recognising those of Victoria University who have continuously supported and encouraged tauira Māori as students, as Māori and as whānau. Ka nui te mihi ki a koutou ngā kaitautoko anō hoki ngā pou whakawhirinaki i tēnei whare, he whare wānanga. Mei kore ake koutou hei arahi i a mātou ngā tauira ki runga i tēnei moana pukepuke kia tau ai, kia ora ai. Koutou o Te Pūtahi Atawhai, o Te Herenga Waka anō hoki ko ngā kaimahi Māori e noho mararā ki tēnā tari ki tēnā tari. Tēnā rā koutou katoa.