The Week That Wasn’t

RIDGES’ PERFORMANCE ART TO BE EXHIBITED AT WORLD RENOWN EXHIBITION.

The latest piece by performance artists Jaime and Sally Ridge, The Ridges, was accepted to show at the Venice Biennale, last week.

The Biennale is an art exhibition which has been held in Venice biannually since 1895, celebrating exceptional contemporary art from across the world.

The Ridges, released in New Zealand in August to near-universal acclaim, has been praised by commentators as simultaneously endearing and “vomit-inducing, in a way that can only be art.”

The show was also commended for its acute insight into the property market’s redevelopment in the wake of the housing crash of 2008.

Biennale curator, Giacomo Salvietta, said he was proud to accept the piece, and called the show “a bold take on the inner workings of the Ponsonby suburbanite”.

“Its intensely self-involved to a level not yet seen on such a stage,” he said.

“Whether it’s documenting the here and now, or the hair in the shower, it’s pushing

boundaries in a way that other performance art should aspire to.”

Sally Ridge has previously cut her artistic teeth as Craft Editor for New Idea magazine, a tenure praised for its thematic diversity, cutting social commentary, and use of glitter.

Art critics cite the duos total dedication to the art as a point of difference from other pieces of the New Zealand performance art canon, such as The GC and Ben Lummis’ epic New Zealand Idol.

“I’m a person, so I’ll wear clothes,” said Jaime Ridge.

“What even is performance art though, y’know?”, she asked, completely absorbed in the character she has been tireless portraying for the last nineteen years, while continuing to dissect the very essence of the art form through an interrogation of the genres parameters.

“No, seriously.” she said.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos