October 1, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA Presidential Address

It is beyond ridiculous how fast this year has gone. With only three more weeks left of Trimester Two, it’s hard to believe that Orientation really was so long ago. It seems like only a few weeks ago that I was dressed up in the bizarre lime green VUWSA ‘smiley belly’ tops, giving first years directions to Macluarin and watching them all try to use the electric doors.

But it is all coming to an end. Before we know it will be summer time and there will be much beach frolicking to be done and Pimm’s to be consumed—for me anyway!

But before this Trimester gets to a close, there is still one big activity that needs to happen at VUWSA—and that’s to elect the VUWSA Executive for 2013. I’ve talked about it in my previous columns and I’m sure you have all seen the posters plastered over campus and the leaflets filling up your lecture theatres.

All candidates will continue to campaign on Monday and Tuesday, but they need to stop on Wednesday—because that’s when voting starts. From Wednesday at 9am to 4.30pm on Friday, all VUWSA members will have the ability to vote in the VUWSA elections. You’ll get an email sent to you with a link that will send you to a secure voting site. If you’re a member, but haven’t received an email, make sure you check your spam folder, some filters will send them the voting emails straight there.

If you’re not quite sure who you want to vote for yet, check out the VUWSA Facebook page. We’ll have video links to the candidates’ forum that happened last week—so you’ll be able to see everyone in action. This week Salient also has an election pull out with all the manifestos of the candidates—each telling you what they want to achieve if elected.

But don’t forget, this election you will also have the chance to vote in the VUWSA referendum. Following voting for the 11 Executive positions, you will be asked ‘Should VUWSA support the marriage equality bill currently before Parliament’.

Regardless of whom you vote for, the important thing is that you do vote. VUWSA is an organisation by students, for students. We are democratic and get our mandate from students. As a member you have a say in how our association is governed—so make sure you use it. Sure as hell know I will!

And finally, next week Ngai Tauira is organising a fundraising campaign to raise money for KidsCan. KidsCan is an organisation that provides meals to students in low decile schools and needs to raise $1.8 million to fund their activities for this year.

Other Victoria groups are coming on board with the fundraising efforts too. Te Herenga Waka marae are running lunches on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday for $6, with $3 from each meal going straight to KidsCan. Bec’s café on Kelburn Parade will also be donating $1 from every coffee sold on Wednesday to the group.

If you’ve got some spare change and want to help out a good cause, you can get involved too. There will be stalls and collection buckets by the overbridge and in McLaurin at Kelburn campus. There will also be one down at the VUWSA Kelburn office. KidsCan is a great cause and these kids need our support. No child should ever have to go to school hungry.

Have a good week, enjoying voting and check out the VUWSA Facebook on Friday evening for the election results!