October 15, 2012 | by  | in Opinion |

VUWSA Presidential Address

So here we are. After 24, at times terribly written columns, we have reached the final Presidential Address of the year. Next it’s Stress Free Study Week, exams and then the vast majority of you will head off on your summer holidays. Despite the pull of the beach and excessive summer drinking, some of you will give study in Trimester 3 a go, and I’ll be finishing up my work and getting ready to hand over the a shiny, new VUWSA Executive.

Being VUWSA President this year isn’t quite what I expected. I like to think I had a pretty good idea of what was expected of me, but this really is a position that you can’t entirely prepare for. Every day is something different – and this year, being the first year of Voluntary Student Membership, presented challenges that no other VUWSA Executive has had to face in a long time.

But I am really proud of what VUWSA has achieved this year. While things haven’t been perfect, I think this Executive has built a strong foundation in a VSM environment which Rory and his team can use to build and grow VUWSA, and make it stronger than ever before.

This achievement has not been the result of one or two people. But it has been a team effort. I would like to thank this year’s Executive for all their time, effort and dedication. I don’t think I could have had a better Executive and I’m so glad I got to spend the year working with all of you. And of course the VUWSA staff also deserve a special mention—you are all total babes However, while I think this year’s Executive has done a commendable job transitioning into this VSM environment, we should not be complacent. VUWSA is too important to lose. We cannot allow the voice of students to be lost and our past, present and future contributions be undermined as a result of our ‘new environment’.

VUWSA was created because it is only through effective student representation that we can hold the University to account and ensure they are delivering the education, experience, facilities and services students want and need during study. We were set up by students, for students. And for the last 113 years we have been making sure that all students get the best out of their time at Victoria. We cannot let this be undermined.

As I officially retire from student politics, I look forward to keeping up to date with what’s happening at VUWSA. I wish Rory and the 2013 Executive the best of luck next year. As stressful as my three years at VUWSA were, I wouldn’t trade them for anything – they helped shape me into the person I am today.

And finally a few thanks have to be given to the people who have helped me through this year. Firstly, to my BafeFF Angus, I’ve enjoyed the laughs, the breaks, the dancing, and the words of wisdom, I am grateful for the time you have given me, despite dealing with your own set-backs, like the death of Whitney Houston. To ‘Shopz’ for always listening to my work rants, no matter how boring they were. To Beyoncé. 4 has become my Presidential-soundtrack and I put down much of my success this year to ‘(Girls) Run the World’. And to Morehu, for being a total babe and forever reminding me that there is so much more to life than work.

And finally, thank you for giving me the opportunity to be your VUWSA President. I feel incredibly proud to have represented you this year, and I hope I have served you well.

1. Turkish Red Lentil Soup
  2. Dragon Friends
  3. NZ Music Month
  4. Dear White People
  5. You’re Allowed to Watch Shit Films
  6. Flint Town: Season 1
  7. Sometimes It’s Too Cold to Go Outside
  8. Some Spicy AF Hot Takes
  10. Love Isn’t Real, Because You Aren’t Hard Enough