October 15, 2012 | by  | in Features |

VUWSA Vice President (Welfare)

This is the last Salient column you will read from a VUWSA Exec member this year. This column is brought to you by the letter R for reflection and the letter E for excitepants. And maybe the letter Z for rest, because my God it is time for holi-holiday with a chilled Corona on a warm beach. Ahhh.

On reflection, the election campaign taught me a lot. It taught me that 90 hour weeks will kill me; that you can always rely on those that love you when the Young Nats put you on Whale Oil; and that through all the bullshit, your opponent can turn out to be a pretty nice guy.

It taught me that not everyone feels valued by VUWSA and the people who work inside it. It taught me that sometimes it can seem more like our club, then your students’ association. Please know this: I have listened. There will be action.

It taught me that people feel let down and angry at our contribution to NZUSA, when this year VUWSA and We Are the University ran a larger campaign against the Budget cuts to tertiary education than our national Students’ Association. Please know this: I feel let down too. There will be action.

It taught me that if VUWSA is to remain relevant and loved by
our members, then we must put on events in scale akin to the inauguration of the Pope. In lieu of something that “loose”, I promise we’ll do better to put on great gigs. In fact, I’m already talking to Otago and Auckland about sharing acts for O Week. We may even have a Victoria End of Days.

Wearing my excitepants, I’m incredibly excited about the year ahead for VUWSA, our members, and all students in Wellington. I look forward to leading what has been dubbed “The Amazeballs Team”; a group of incredibly talented, passionate people who will occupy the beige tower next year bring with them the enthusiasm and determination to take VUWSA to the next level, and in doing so get a better deal for students. I have excitepants for Amazeballs.

Before I leave to chill my Corona, I just want to acknowledge the hard work, dedication and determined positivity of this years’ exec. We were thrown a shit-bomb this year. With VSM, an overbearing university and critics on all sides, it was always going to be tough. Through it all (some trials self-inflicted, admittedly), we powered through. I want to especially thank Sara our Women’s Officer and Sophie our Environmental Officer. They are wells of knowledge, patience, ideas and wisdom.

And of course, to our President. Bridie, I believe you are the best leader VUWSA has had in the longest time. It will be both a monumental honour and a challenge to try and live up to your legacy.

I will strive. We will strive. After Corona.

1. There’s a New Editor
1