Date Night

Dinner for two. Can there be anything more conducive to spreading the love?

And with the tsunami of current home cooking shows demonstrating how to get bitchin’ in the kitchen, this gives you the chance to showcase your naked chef skills as well. (Although if you’re whipping up anything requiring frying, I suggest an apron!). Here are my top picks for wining and dining that special someone.

The epitome of Champagne on a (craft) beer budget is Spanish Cava. They make their sparkling wine with grapes native to Spain which we won’t go into as they’re a bitch to pronounce.

My pick is the Freixenet (frey-see-ent)—Cordon Negro $16.50. The bottle isn’t the prettiest, but it’s what’s inside that will get the pulses racing.

For the still whites we are aiming to impress, so let’s go slightly left of centre with the Tahblik—Marsanne $16.95. This shares a flavour profile with Sauvignon Blanc but is slightly more restrained.

My last white that will make you seem cooler than the other side of the pillow is Pinot Blanc. Moore Wilson’s have three or four good examples from both New Zealand and France. You will have to pay a bit more ($25-$30), but in my experience it’s a wine that you can put on the table safe in the knowledge that no one is going to hate it, and by extension, you.

All these guys above would be great with seafood/fish with fresh, light flavours and would also stand up to a good lashing of chilli.

I have opted for reds which are a bit lighter, as bigger alcoholic red wine is more likely to give you those purple-stained teeth that aren’t really going to invite your partner to stick their tongue in your mouth.

Terra Sancta—Mysterious Diggings Pinot Noir. This is exactly what you want from a central Pinot, juicy fruit framed by a lick of toasty oak, and at $18-$20 is a steal.

Another silken red is the Sileni—Cellar Selection Syrah $14.95. Summer berry fruits with some white pepper, leave it at that and you’ll sound like a pro.

Food wise, let’s sear off some lean cuts of lamb or venison. Chuck that over some kumara mash, bok choy/broccolini. If meat’s not your thing, eggplant, feta and tomato stacks are the go.

Boom. Date night done.

Bacchus

Bacchus sourced these wines from Moore Wilson’s Fresh liquor department.