March 18, 2013 | by  | in Arts Music |

Bloc Party, March 7, The Powerstation

I was late to the party (I’m sorry) on Bloc Party. Granted, Silent Alarm came out when I was 11, so getting on board with A Weekend in the City wasn’t exactly a cardinal sin, but I still feel bad about it. Of course, I soon found Silent Alarm, and with it the soundtrack to my mid-to-late teens, from the tensely sprung brilliance of ‘Like Eating Glassto the sterile grandeur of the hidden track, ‘Every Time Is the Last Time’. Needless to say (I will anyway), I was plenty excited for their Auckland show.

And they (mostly) didn’t disappoint. Kele came out in pigtails, Russell came out still bearing a fringe, and Matt came out shirtless. Starting with a newer song, ‘So He Begins to Lie’, Bloc Party got the crowd excited and dancing from the outset. After another less popular song (‘Trojan Horse’), they really got us going with ‘Hunting for Witches’, loosening up the crowd enough to enjoy two bangers from Four. Following that was perhaps my favourite four-live-songs-in-a-row ever: ‘Waiting for the 7:18’, ‘Song for Clay’ (with the intro from the demo version, so the nerds could pick it first), ‘Banquet’ and ‘Blue Light’. I won’t just bore you with the setlist though; you can find that online.

Matt is still my favourite drummer. Kele can still hit all those notes perfectly, as can Russell and Gordon. The sheer energy from a band in their middle age was impressive, from Kele climbing and running around the balcony to the ever-present pounding drums of Matt Tong. The mostly male audience were obviously after the more guitar-based stuff, and I couldn’t really blame them, as ‘Signs’ and ‘Flux’, two songs that I adore, weren’t really pulled off onstage, despite a Rihanna intro. An almost pure delight, for both old-school fans and new—let’s hope, as Kele said on stage, “it won’t take us five years next time”.