March 18, 2013 | by  | in Arts Theatre |

Definition of Me

Many months ago, four young whiz-kids from the Wellington improv and stand-up scene got together to share some of their most personal stories—and then fucked with them until they were a set of poignant and comedic scenes, appropriate for presentation to the public. 

Housed in an apartment on Cuba St, (the kind with exposed industrial arches and a chic wooden floor), the setting for this piece is intimate and inclusive; the perfect spot for a deceptively interactive show. After being enthusiastically welcomed into a children’s birthday party, the audience is transported via a series of short scenes into a variety of private conversations, appointments and interactions.

Exploring themes including relationships, familial affection and gender identification, Definition of Me inspired my tear ducts to get active rapidly, with both sadness and hilarity.

Although this show confronts some very personal issues, it does so in a manner that will virtually split your sides.

With the vibrancy and energy of an improvised comedy, and the delicate scripting of a polished-to-perfection play, these four young thespians find the perfect balance between raw and refined