Fuck Scarfies, Get Money

Vic students make bank with student job search

Victoria University students seem to be getting amongst the best of the student job market, as Student Job Search (SJS) figures obtained by Salient show a general increase in student job fields.

Job placement is up seven per cent, with average income per placing steady at $2,223. Yearly earnings have grown from $8,583,826 to $9,002,148 for the 4862 students enrolled in the free service. Enrolments increased 36 per cent from last year, which equates to 1281 students.

SJS emphasise that while financial results are important, the benefits surpass remuneration alone.

“It’s not just about the money that students earn getting jobs through Student Job Search, it’s also about them gaining valuable work experience before they graduate.”

Students reported a mix of experiences with SJS. A first-year student spoken to by Salient reported positive outcomes with the service.

“For me it was good, I found two jobs on there which I currently have,” she said.

One second-year student Salient spoke to had not had such an easy time.

“When I tried to use [SJS] a while back, it seemed that most labour, nanny, other jobs you needed a full driver’s licence for. Boy, I’m a student, I walk everywhere,” she said.

Otago University students are not so lucky, and will have to take their place not in the world, but on the dole registry. SJS figures from Otago have shown an overall decrease in student earnings and employment rates.

The rate of Otago students placed in work is down 15 per cent from 2012, which has reduced the total student earnings from $1,657,858 to $1,569,297 a year.

Student job-seekers can find SJS online at sjs.co.nz, or visit Vic Careers at 14 Kelburn Pde or at victoria.ac.nz/st_services/careers. 

1. David says:

Or they may want to give escorting a try. Earn in an hour what it would take you two days to earn at your average supermarket.