March 5, 2013 | by  | in Features |

Interview with Home Brew

“Smooth and delicious, they’re ripping the mic, making the music that you want to hear, the Home Brew crew, drunk every day of the year”. So began 2007’s Home Brew light ep, an exciting opening document which established a modus operandi for the trajectory which has since been followed by Tom, Haz and Lui. Their self-titled debut album reached number one in its first week, Silver Scroll nominations followed, and critical acclaim came from all corners. This week, Salient’s Chris McIntyre speaks to frontman Tom Scott ahead of Home Brew’s March 5 orientation show.

What drug should John Key use?

Marijuana. It’s a gateway drug. He needs to see the world from outside his head. Not too much, just enough for him to open his little mind.

What drug should all students try?

I really don’t think it’s necessary to try drugs. I don’t think it’s benefited me knowing what drugs do to you. I don’t know, I think marijuana does open your mind for a bit. I was forced to smoke some hash yesterday [and] after like four or five takes I’ve got hella high, and it just gave me a nice step outside my box to look at my life, and I hadn‘t really evaluated it for a while from another person’s perspective, so that helped me in that way. But, I’m really not as much of a druggie
as people make out, I wouldn’t encourage people to do drugs to be honest with you.

I’m an addictive personality, bro, like, I wouldn’t recommend anyone to be addicted to anything. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to need anything, when life is the shit as it is. It really is. and your brain works by itself, like, you can take yourself outside of yourself with some willpower. I really wouldn’t recommend anyone needing drugs, I really wouldn’t.

Do you find drugs useful as a creative avenue?

Creatively, it doesn’t help me at all. My brain runs too quickly. Like I just start fuckin’ thinking a million miles a minute and I can’t put all those words down onto one page, like with weed at least. With ecstasy I just want to hug strangers, and with acid I can’t even fucking make out what my pen is let alone put it to use. The other day I had this knee operation and they gave me fuckloads of codeine, and I just took ten of them and ran a bath, and nothing creative came out of that. I had to give them back to my mum and say “hide these from me’’, cause I was taking them every fucking day. I enjoy [drugs], hell
yeah I enjoy them, but I enjoy sleeping all day as well and there’s way more to life than that.

If one major Home Brew theme is drugs, another’s political activism. but i don’t get a Lupe Fiasco-style preachy vibe from
it, is there a key to that?

[laughs] Haha, thanks bro. I just think that I have the opportunity to say, “fuck this prime minister”, and we all know he’s an idiot, we all know he doesn’t care about poor people in the country, and I’ve just had the opportunity to say that. And that’s about all I’ve done. I’m not an activist, I just have an opinion […] I just wake up wanting to write raps, sing some shit. I don’t wake up consciously thinking, “how will i change that”, I really don’t. I’m trying to change my world. First and foremost, I’m just trying to get out of my mum’s house.

I think Lupe at least does shit. I can’t stand his music but I think he at least puts money into the community. I just say fuck the prime minister every now and then, ‘cause people need to hear that.

What can people expect from your live show?

We try to give an insight into every aspect of our personalities [through a live band].  So at the same time we want to party and drink, we want to bring it back down, go somewhere different for a second. It’s just basically music that brings out a good feeling in you, I think that’s mainly what’s music’s used for, in a tribal sense you know, bring emotion out. I try to always look at music in a live situation as it would be in a tribal situation, people dancing around the fire, or channeling spirits or something like that. You try to bring that out live. It’s going to come across to the average listener as just  another party, but it’s deeper than that.

That use of instrumentalism through your music, is that influence from the roots’ style of Hip Hop, or is that just you guys re-appropriating a love of Jazz?

I always grew up with live music and always knew that live music was more powerful than a DJ, and I always got a buzz of hearing live drums at shows. I saw James Brown when I was younger, and at the same time I saw groups like De La Soul, I was more enjoying the live aspect, there’s just so much more you can do, you know? When you’re on stage with a DJ you only really got one musician up there who can add something musical to it, but when we have four people combined, it’s always going to be more powerful. You’re always gonna provide a better show.

What’s on your rider?

Hennessy; chicken for haz; wine; a cricket set; Panadol; up&go for the morning; red bull, for when I feel like this—I’m feeling like shit right now; vodka; a box of heinies; i’m trying to get some milk bottles and maybe some fuckin’ peaches and cream or something, maybe some scroggin.

Tommy Ill’s gonna be opening for you guys, have you heard much of his stuff?

I like how [Tommy]’s out of centre. He gets a lot of haters, and I think that’s just showing that he’s trying to do something
different. But I’m a lyrics dude, mainly, so I’m always going to be drawn to real lyricists, I like the way that Tommy tries to find a niche and makes music that doesn’t sound stereotypically Hip-hop, for lack of a better explanation. Hip-hop should be Hip-hop, at least there’s something different.

Buy the Girl Songs EP from at peace.bandcamp.com.

Chris McIntyre