Kenny Survives Firing Squad

Uni doesn’t care what caretakes takes

Victoria University has this week defended its decision not to fire Arana Kenny, despite the caretaker last week pleading guilty to stealing a
student’s phone.

Kenny’s behaviour breached staff Conduct Policy sections 4.7.9(j), bringing the University’s reputation into disrepute, and 4.7.9(n), dishonesty including theft.

The guilty plea has not changed the university’s mind. “The university stands by its decision not to terminate the staff member’s employment.”

“The university takes this issue very seriously. Employment matters are dealt with on a case- by-case basis, and we must consider a variety of factors in each case,” said the spokesperson.

Chris Cherry, the victim of the theft, withdrew from his PhD program and no longer holds his tutoring position following the University’s inaction on the matter.

On his blog he stated that he could not use the campus after the theft, citing personal safety. “The only solution the University could come
up with was for me not to use the campus, so I feel that I have no other option.”

The University gave no response to Salient’s question asking how they plan to ensure that Kenny does not reoffend. Kenny intends to apply for a discharge without conviction at a sentencing hearing next month.