March 25, 2013 | by  | in Arts Music |

Lorde-ing It Up

I’m always childishly overjoyed when I hear of a female holding her own in the music industry. Lorde doesn’t just hold her own; she pulls a giant middle finger at her competition.

With the airwaves becoming increasingly clogged with homemade electronic beats and sub-par remixes of ‘212’, this Auckland youngster (16 years’ worth of youngster-ness) is truly refreshing. Ever since she was recorded singing in a school talent quest as a 13-year-old, Universal Records have been all up in her jam, providing her with the ca$h money, production team, and just enough hype to keep her on the indie music radar without (as of yet) cramping her style in the pop music scene. The Love Club EP has been circulating the internet for a while now, but was finally released on iTunes on March 8.

Lorde’s (a.k.a. Ella’s) sound is familiar yet unique. So many people fail to achieve the aesthetic of layered vocal tracks over thin instrumentation that I’d almost given up on the gimmick. Fortunately, Lorde’s voice is mature, soulful and generous. It fills out what would otherwise be hollow tracks; a necessary feat to keep the listener engaged in tender songs such as ‘Biting Down’, and to provide the swagger needed for ‘Bravado’ and ‘Million Dollar Bills’.

Her most well-known song, ‘Royals’, makes the basic verse-chorus structure sound ridiculously good. She is smart about the lyrical content of each section, piecing each part together in an orderly and eloquent fashion rather than just throwing in a pre-chorus for the hell of it. While she relies rather heavily on the verse-chorus structure throughout the EP, it’s great to hear the opening track veering from this norm.

As for the lyrics, they too are ridiculously good. They emit strong hip-hop vibes without making her sound pretentious and/or self-deprecating (an odd combination which rappers somehow manage to achieve). I can defs see the phrase “we’re driving Cadillacs in our dreams” becoming an anthem for her followers.

Overall, the entire EP has a confidence which well belies Lorde’s years, and suggests she has more up her sleeves. And dammit—I really wanna get drunk with her.

4.5/5