March 25, 2013 | by  | in Arts Music |

Netsky at Hunter Lounge

Netsky, the crowning jewel of the YES! A Mini Festival—run simultaneously with O-Week by the Hunter Lounge—was nearly over before it began. Sound issues (a vital piece of equipment was broken en route from the South Island) meant the doors didn’t open until 10.30pm, two and a half hours after scheduled. Netsky was rescheduled to 11pm and the support acts dropped or curtailed, all while a sellout crowd waited on Mount St.

Standing inside, looking over the angry hordes crowded around the entrance (80 per cent of whom were pulling the fingers at us) Hunter Lounge management told Salient that Netsky had been “great” through the dramas. It was hard not to sympathise with a management team which did all it could to make the show work in shit circumstances. Lacking any sympathy were the poor souls waiting outside, pinging up to the eyeballs. At least it wasn’t raining.

These were 1000 people who “fucken love some Netsky, bro”. Earlier in the day Netsky fucken loved them back, as they were seen on campus taking photos with students. This openness went AWOL during the show, with all crowd interaction left to the hypeman and his canned banter. Example: “I don’t think you’re ready to party!”. I’m not joking.

If you know Netsky and care about the songs he played, you were there. If you don’t, imagine some heady basslines overlaid with melancholic synths, and some large drops. The Netsky live show benefited from the drummer and keyboardist, leading to a powerful sonic experience. Sadly, the only real change throughout the hour-long set was the genre of which each song was derivative.

As a set it lacked any real coherence, but the masses didn’t care. Any slow spots were made up for by the sheer volume of drops, and the seething mass of a mosh pit which, from my vantage point on the balcony, literally pulsed and flowed with the beat—picture a washing machine of sweaty drunks. For all my criticisms of the show, I can’t get across to you how well it was received. As I left, no fewer than four fights broke out and the punters lapped up every one. This gig was aimed at the middle, and the middle absolutely loved it.