Nigella Lawstudent – Quiche Alsacienne

for this issue, i thought i’d do something old-timey, classic and perfect for a mature sunday lunch; except student-style, by which i mean cheap. when i think of having lunch at nana’s place, i imagine a quiche, a green salad, and a side of heavily-salted radishes for grandad. the origins of quicheare as a french eggy pie but without the top. the classic quiche lorraine is bacon and cheese, but the alsacienne variation adds onions. i am not of the meat-eating persuasion but feel free to add some into your quiche, perfect for entertaining even the fussiest of nanas!

Pastry recipe:
1 cup white flour
1/2 cup butter (preferable) or
margarine (cheaper), cut into
small cubes
3 tablespoons water
pinch salt

Sieve the flour and salt into a bowl. Add the butter/margarine. Using your fingers in a pinching motion, mix the butter through the flour gently. The mixture
should become sand-like. Mix one tablespoon of water through with your fingers at a time. Let the mixture sit in the fridge for 15 minutes, then take it out and knead it until it becomes a ball of dough. Let it sit refrigerated for another ten minutes, before rolling it out and placing it in a pie dish. Bake the pastry for ten minutes at 180°C before adding any filling.

Filling:
3 onions, chopped in rounds
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
3 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 cup cheese, grated (cheap, or gruyère/swiss if you’re fancy)
salt and pepper

Cook the onions with the garlic on a low heat. don’t rush them: you want them soft and sweet. You could also add leek, spinach, mushrooms, or anything you desire to your quiche; I added half a leek instead of the third onion. Beat the eggs lightly, then add the milk. Add the cheese to this mix. Once the onions have cooked through nicely and are just starting to brown, take them off the heat. Put the onion mixture on the bottom of the quiche, then pour the egg-and-cheese mixture on top. Cook in the oven for 30 minutes at 180°C or until golden.

Serve this al fresco, or at least with the window open if you live in the central city, and some asparagus rolls, salads and lamingtons afterwards. You can also make miniature single-serve quiches, as i did, they’re eggcellent for uni lunchboxes (har, har).