Nine out of Ten International Students Agree

A recent survey from the International Graduate Insight Group shows international students have high levels of satisfaction with tertiary education in New Zealand.

The survey assessed three areas: learning experiences, living experiences and support services. Learning experience was considered “the strongest influence on student satisfaction” with 89 per cent of students either satisfied or very satisfied. Academic staff and facilities were rated highly.

Nat Tan, a second-year international student from Malaysia agreed. She found tutors and lecturers approachable. “They’ve made it very clear that you can approach them, but I find this different for, say, my Malaysian friends who just don’t speak English that well,” said Tan.
The living experience section showed that students felt a strong “sense of safety” and enjoyed the opportunities to make friends from other countries and experience New Zealand’s culture.

Areas of dissatisfaction were the costs of living and accommodation, along with the lack of opportunities to earn money or receive financial support. Students were satisfied with support services, but dissatisfaction was felt with halls of residence and campus eating places. Universities’ accounts/financial departments and careers advisory services were also rated poorly.

Tan was satisfied with support services. “I do wish there were more scholarships and more financial avenues open to international students, but I guess it’s the same as Kiwi students: they don’t get very much either.”

Immigration New Zealand has created a new website called NZ study+work to inform students of their rights and rules regarding working on a student visa. Tan doesn’t believe this will help as most students know the rules but don’t follow them. “They choose to disregard them because they need the money because living costs are so high.”

The Immigration New Zealand NZ study + work website can be found at nzstudywork. immigration.govt.nz.