Not So Dumb After All

Who’s watching all the sheep?

For the first time a majority of New Zealanders have a tertiary qualification, according to a report released by the Ministry of Education in December 2012.

The report, Profiles & Trends 2011: New Zealand’s Tertiary Education Sector, is based on 2011 data which found that the proportion of New Zealanders with a tertiary qualification or higher had increased to 52 per cent as of 2011, up from 50 per cent in 2010.

This continues a general upward trend in New Zealanders gaining qualifications, particularly amongst young people aged 25-34, of whom 30 per cent now have a bachelors degree or higher. The report attributes this to the “very significant increases in access to higher levels of tertiary education from the 1990s.”

A 2012 OECD report on population percentage with tertiary qualifications showed that 46 per cent of New Zealanders aged 25-34 have a tertiary qualification, but this drops to 34 per cent of those aged 55-64.

Minister for Tertiary Education Steven Joyce said in his press release that the report “shows we are making good progress.”

“[The Government is] delivering on our commitment to strengthen and up-skill the New Zealand labour market.”

However, NZUSA doesn’t see the trend as an unqualified success. NZUSA President Pete Hodgkinson said the trend was a combination of ‘credential creep’, “where higher and higher qualifications are required to demonstrate a graduate’s capacity” and ’massification’ of education. Massification refers to a higher number of students in higher-level education.

The Auckland and Wellington regions contain New Zealand’s highest proportions of graduates, each at 80 per cent; the lowest percentage of graduates is tied between Southland and the West Coast, both at 64 per cent.

Sophie Boot

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this