O-Week Hard Done By

Students flaccid

THE 2013 O-Week lineup has failed to live up to expectations, leaving many students disappointed and wishing it was 2011.2013’s O-Week will feature Home Brew, a Neon Toga Party, a Comedy Spectacular and a Hypnotist night; a lineup which has left many students wanting more.Students have expressed their disappointment on Facebook through the Overheard @ Vic page. “Remember the time when VUWSA booked MGMT and De La Soul for O-week two years ago? Yeah, what happened since then?” one student commented.Some students blamed Voluntary Student Membership, a piece of legislation which has meant compulsory membership fees can no longer be collected by students’ associations. VUWSA is now treated as a service provider, contracted by the university to run things VUWSA used to pay for itself. Other commentators have argued O-week failings are “because people didn’t vote for Jackson Freeman”. Freeman was a presidential candidate who unsuccessfully ran against Rory McCourt last year, promising “loose events”.

The privatisation of O-Week has been mooted as a future solution, with #privatiseoweek a popular hashtag among students who still aren’t sure how hashtags work on Facebook. Last year’s O-Week—the first under VSM—was also criticised by students for a lacklustre lineup which included Roots Manuva and, predictably, another Toga Party.The last standout O-Week was 2011, the yearbefore VSM was introduced. 2011 saw bothMGMT and De La Soul play The Hunter Lounge.A first-year student Salient spoke to said he was stoked with the O-week line-up and others are fine with it.“It’s not about the entertainment–give me a toga and a beer and I’m on fire.”VUWSA President Rory McCourt says he is incredibly excited about the line-up.“The first years will be drunk with happiness.“Plus, everyone should keep their eye out for more events during the year.”See next week’s Salient for a review of the VUWSA and University processes which led to the second successive year of O-Week disappointment.

Phillipa Webb