Pat Finally Graduates

Vice-Chancellor Professor Pat Walsh will not be seeking a third term in his role when it lapses at the end of the year. 

Though it is not year clear where this decision has come from, Walsh said it had been “an honour and a privilege “It has been an honour and a privilege to be Victoria’s Vice-Chancellor since 2005.”

“I have been inspired on a daily basis by my first-hand knowledge of the many extraordinary achievements of our staff and students.”

Chancellor Ian McKinnon, who was on the University Council which appointed Walsh, said he had “shown very strong leadership, and very good managerial skills.”

“He has lead and managed Victoria at a time of increasing fiscal challenges and constraints while, maintaining the quality of a Victoria institution, well supported by the development of new and refurbished facilities,” McKinnon said.

McKinnon would not say when the process would be completed, but said it would be done so over the course of the year. “It’s the most important decision a governing body will make. So considerable attention must be given to the process to make sure one gets the calibre of applicants [we] [wish] to see.”

He stressed that it would be “robust and fair”, and was ultimately the Council’s decision. A committee of Council members will be selected to run the process and discuss with stakeholders what they perceived the be the key challenges Victoria will face in its next term, and what direction it should be heading in.

Student representative David Alsop, as well as the yet to be appoint Chair of the Student Forum will both have a vote on the new appointment.

8. Issue 10 – Like and Subscribe
  9. An Overdue Lesson in Anatomy
  10. Astral Rejection