Politics (Right) – The Political Year Ahead

THE GOVERNMENT

National
With the ruling of the Supreme Court last week that partial privatisations of state owned enterprises do not have a detrimental effect on Treaty of Waitangi claims, the sale of shares can now begin in earnest.  The partial floats look to raise a significant amount ($5-8 Billion) that the Government can use to pay down the national debt. It will also be used to fund new hospitals, schools and infrastructure. This is not an “asset sale” as the Government will be keeping a 51% stake, which gives them total control.

ACT
The ACT party continues to struggle for relevance. A supposedly classical Liberal party forged of equal parts ex-National and ex-Labour members at formation is now lead by former arch-conservative National MP, John Banks. That said if the Partnership Schools policy ends up being a success, it may be the biggest long-term success of this Government’s entire period in office with the potential to revolutionise education in New Zealand.

Maori Party
On their last legs, with leadership ructions in a party of three MPs.

United Future
Look for a great range of bowties from Peter Dunne.

THE LEFT

Labour
David Shearer has reshuffled his front bench but it is nowhere near radical enough to take the fight to National. Deadwood MP’s who should have made dignified exits in 2011 or even 2008 cling on for dear life, probably because they would not be able to find post parliamentary employment. With the sole exception of the talented veteran Annette King, any Labour MP first elected in the 1980’s should stop hogging valuable safe seats and leave Parliament in 2014. As for David Cunliffe the man is a Harvard educated economist who better yet, can string a coherent sentence together. Giving him Revenue and Fisheries portfolios when he could be leading the Party is a criminal waste of talent.

The Greens
Russel Norman will continue to encroach all throughout 2013 on David Shearer’s title as Leader of the Opposition. Because the Greens are a smaller party they tend not to have any time servers unlike Labour, every seat is precious gift to be given to a talented person. They will continue to land hits on the Government where Labour cannot.

Mana
Hone Harawira will say something idiotic and offensive.

New Zealand First
2011 was a fluke. 2013 will see another MP leave their caucus.

Freddie Hayek