March 25, 2013 | by  | in Features |

Salient’s 7 Modern Sins

1. Drunkenly hooking up with someone in your tutorial—the following shame and awkward encounters aren’t worth your drunken urges. Save it for those you won’t be seeing in a confined space once a week. Also applies to flatmates, neighbours, and people in your hall you have no romantic interest in.

2. Breaking up via text—never end a relationship with a text. Texting isn’t a place for meaningful conversation; it’s basically one step up from changing your relationship status on Facebook. Break their heart via calling instead; their tears/anger will short circuit the phone and end the call anyway.

3. Emotion filled statuses/selfies in your bathroom mirror/hash-tagging on Facebook—although this provides amusement and humour in a why-are-people-so-ridiculous kind of way. Save your emotional #THATSREALTALK status for private message and save the hash tags for Twitter.

4. Having a ‘Keep Calm and Carry On’ poster above your bed—it’s not a thing anymore. It’s over. The meaning was lost in too many bad puns and with girls who read Cosmo.

5. Over stalking someone on the internet and then referring to something you found out in real life—you can’t go back from mentioning that time in 2011 when they weren’t let into the MGMT concert because they had drunk too many Cruisers. Also related, liking something on Facebook/Instagram from a long time ago or favouriting a tweet.

6. Writing passive aggressive notes to your flatmates – leaving a smiley face at the end of “Hey, could you leave your dirty plates in the sink” doesn’t make up for it. Just suck it up and tell them face-to-face.

7. Drunken texting –There’s a reason you don’t contact these people sober. Waking up to read “wea r u?? come to towwwnn secxy” will make you want to crawl into a hole forever. Just put down the phone and pick up another drink; you’ll thank yourself in the morning.