Slippery Slope Well-Lubricated

Gaytriarchy one step closer to world domination

The Government and Administration Select Committee has endorsed the legalisation of same-sex marriage in their report on the Marriage (Equality) Amendment Bill, released on February 27.

The Second reading of the Bill will take place on the March 13, where the Bill will be debated by a Committee of the Whole House.
Labour MP Louisa Wall, sponsor of the Bill, has re-emphasised what the Bill means for all New Zealanders.  “This is another important milestone towards achieving a fairer more equal New Zealand.”
Of the 21,533 submissions received, 10,487 were in support of the bill and 8148 opposed it. The Committee made a special mention of their gratitude to young people involved in both sides. The report recommends one amendment, which clarifies that religious ministers will not be forced to marry same-sex couples against their personal beliefs.

“A marriage licence shall authorize but not oblige any marriage celebrant to solemnise the marriage to which it relates”, the report reads. The considerations discussed in the report include: whether or not marriage constitutes a human right, religious beliefs, the role of the state in regulating marriage, civil unions in comparison to marriage, transgender issues, and adoption and family matters.

The report will come as good news to the majority of Victoria students; VUWSA Equity Officer Matthew Ellison has expressed excitement about the Bill, and is looking forward to attending the Second Reading. “This is an issue of civil rights and ending discrimination based solely on gender and sexuality.”

Last year, VUWSA held an SGM on whether they should support the Bill. The motion passed without anyone speaking out against same-sex marriage in itself, only against the VUWSA’s support amid a lack of student consensus on the issue. Rumours of Christian campus group Huge!’s planned mass opposition never materialised.

Chloe Davies

1. Token Cripple: You’re totally messing with my cripple aura, dood.
  2. You Are Not Your Illness
  3. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  4. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  5. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  6. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  7. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  8. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  10. Uni Council Corner

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this