Stay Classy, World

Greenpeace activists made Moby Dicks of themselves last week in continued efforts to disrupt Japanese ‘research’ vessels continuing important work on the comparative deliciousness of different whale species. The activists’ lucky escape ensured the Shepherd would Sea another day.

The surprise success of Italy’s Five Star Movement in recent elections has been given no stars by other parties, as a hung parliament threatens political dysfunction in the nation. Former president Silvio Berlusconi is said to be “aroused with rage” at the outcome.

The American debt crisis has raised its head again as the American Government finds the new best way to delay their default. After the conclusion of the ‘Let Someone Else Handle It’ regime, the ‘Why Don’t We Put Our Heads In The Sand?’ plan has had limited success. Legislators are hoping the current approach of ‘Shhhhhhhhhh’ will be the silver bullet for Washington’s financial woes.

A new Indian law making school attendance compulsory for 6 to 14 year olds is expected to help rescue the 28-million children working in the sub-continent’s mines. Salient takes htis opportunity to reiterate our anti-child labour stance; although children are very cheap, they are physically weak and of poor moral fibre—it just doesn’t make long-term economic sense.

A working group has released a white paper following a green paper’s recommendation that a prior red paper’s findings be subject to a working group report. The consultation stage is well underway, with interested parties making statements affirming their self-interested positions.

1. Stuart says:

Are you talking about Greenpeace or Sea Shepherd? The organisations are pretty different, and even actively oppose eachother in their approach to anti-whaling. I think I’m correct in saying Greenpeace has even alerted the Japanese Whaling fleet as to where Sea Sheperd are located so the Whalers could avoid them. You’ve made a bit of a Moby Dick of yourself confusing the organizations…