Stick with the App

Students encouraged to make like wolves; form a pack

Five Massey students have created the latest iteration of the the Stay Safe in the City campaign, releasing an app named The Pack.

Stick With The Pack was created to fight the dangers of being out and about in Wellington City at night.

The app was created by the third-year students in close collaboration with the Wellington City Council’s safety and design teams, as part of a project aimed at gaining industry experience.

“We wanted to change the way peoples’ nights unfolded by informing them and actually giving them the means to keep track of each other,” said the students.

The app’s main feature is the ability to create a ‘Wolf Pack’ to keep your crew together when the night gets fuzzy. Friends form a pack through Facebook, and mapping technology allows Pack members to track one another. Users can send a Wolf Cry alert to all pack members whenever in danger.

Additionally, the app gives slurring teen’s quick access to three taxi companies and Metlink public transport timetables.

Jane Gowans, Police community constable for Wellington universities, says it’s important to ensure your safety when you are going home late.

“If a situation doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. Trust your gut.”

Launched in 2006, the Stay Safe in the City campaign has focussed on protecting 18 to 25-year-olds in Wellington’s entertainment area. It’s success is shown through Wellington being the only world capital holding World Health Organisation Safe Community Status.

Mike Jagusch

1. Cuttin’ it with with Miss June