Trouble Brews Again: A Response

This week’s Salient magazine featured a news story about tweets posted by a Harry Huavi of Home Brew threatening physical violence against a Victoria University student a week before their O-Week show.

In response, we would like to make it clear that the decision to publish this story was made by the Editors, and we stand by this decision. Some criticisms have been made against the content of the story, which we have addressed below.

The decision not to sign Home Brew for future events was made by VUWSA, not Salient, and was made long before the story was written. The author made attempts to get in touch with Home Brew prior to their show, but did not receive any response.

The student’s identity was kept anonymous as we were concerned for their safety given the threatening nature of the original tweets. We decided not to publish the original content of the student’s tweets as this information could have been used to identify the student.

Having seen the response by Huavi to the publication of the story, including encouraging fans to send hate mail to its author, we regret that we did not extend this anonymity to the author as well.

Finally, we wish to stress again that this decision was made at an editorial level, and that issues with the story should be directed to the Editors, and not the author of the story.

Molly McCarthy & Stella Blake-Kelly
Salient Co-Editors
editor@salient.org.nz