Wellington’s Weekly Vogue

Rebecca was identifiable a mile off, with her beige jodphurs, bag and white shirt contrasting so violently with her hair and bright lips. It’s always so glamourous when red-heads to red lipstick and the paleness of her whole ensemble made Rebecca’s features stand out. Accompanied by her best friend, “since we were, like, year two” this travel agent’s feel for colour was stunning.

Heading to Grammatica at the Hunter Lounge, art history student Isabel mixed sensible shoes (note the glittering socks) with a rave-ready dress. There’s so much practicality and Parisian style in this outfit – a classic combination of tough flat boots and girlish hair. Stripes may have been trending for awhile but a tight, turtle-neck dress that’s striped? Not something you see everyday. Thanks for keeping it classy on the Wellington student night-life scene.

Vi Blackburn thought I had made a mistake in wanting to photograph her, “it’s just my uniform!” she exclaimed, for her job at the Saint James theatre, where she has been employed since 1947. I won’t repeat her age but this softly spoken women was a beacon on the matte sidewalk of Courtenay Place – polished leather shoes, patent bag, glittering waistcoat, silky tie, big gold earrings and shining eyes. Reluctant to speak of herself, the pride she has in her PhD pursuing grandson was evasive but so endearing.