April 8, 2013 | by  | in Arts Film |

Film – What’s On

Rust and Bone: The effervescent Marion Cotillard received considerable praise for her performance in this tale of a killer whale trainer who suffers a horrific accident, with Time pointing out that she “demonstrates again her eerie ability to write complex feelings on her face without grandstanding her emotions”.

Trance: Danny Boyle returns to the silver screen with this ambitious thriller that’s apparently as complex and confusing as inception. Critical reaction has been mixed, with views ranging from “a tolerable distraction” to Film.com’s scathing appraisal that it is “a propulsive mess of pop psychology and poor drama”.

Hyde Park on Hudson: President Franklin Roosevelt hosts the King of England at his Hyde Park estate, or, to be more accurate, a bunch of famous actors chew the fat in an attempt to hide the fact that the movie itself, gorgeous scenert aside, is a shambles. The AV Club noted that “the slapdash manner in which it’s assembled is genuinely shocking”.

G.I Joe Retaliation: Hollywood once again turns to a toy brand to help them rake in the cash. Former Salient Arts editor Adam Goodall described it as “the kind of surreal mélange that is fascinating to film students and stupid to everyone else—a grab-bag of conservative
power fantasies, liberal satire, broad-strokes characterisation and pop-culture deification that’s fun because of its messiness.”

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties