Foreign Student Revenue Rises

They come over here and take our knowledge!

Foreign students are cashing up new Zealand tertiary institutions with recent figures showing international tuition revenues have increased to their
highest level since 2004.

Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Employment Steven Joyce released the Ministry of Education’s 2012 Export Education Levy data in late March. The data show international tuition revenues increased by two per cent to $745.7 million in 2012. International students, or ‘full-fee’ students, often pay as much as six times the fees of domestic students.

Of the 2012 budget spend, $2.82 billion went into the provision of tertiary education. The revenue gained from international students is equivalent to over a quarter of this budgetary allocation.

Joyce hopes revenue streams from international students will continue to grow, despite a 31 per cent drop in students in Canterbury after the earthquakes, and a three per cent drop across the rest of New Zealand.

“Institutions in all of our major cities have played an important part in making New Zealand an attractive destination for international students
and these latest figures give a strong platform for continued growth,” said Joyce.

Victoria had 814 international students at the start of the 2012 academic year, according to University Council documents. This is seven per cent fewer full-fee students than at the same time last year.

The 2012 export education Levy data can be accessed at educationcounts.govt.nz/statistics/international.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan